Nelson Mullins is a leader in healthcare real estate. Our Healthcare Real Estate Practice Group combines deep experience across multiple disciplines, along with comprehensive market knowledge. Our team attorneys work collaboratively with healthcare providers from large for-profit and not-for-profit health systems to community hospitals, physician groups, and other specialty providers of healthcare services, developers, investors, Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), and sponsors. We help our clients establish strategic relationships and develop creative and practical approaches to new business opportunities, while navigating the complexities and ever-changing landscape of the healthcare industry. Our Healthcare Real Estate Practice Group is fully integrated with our cross-disciplinary National Healthcare Practice Group, which has a history of advising clients on a wide range of sophisticated, complex corporate, tax, real estate, operations, employment, and regulatory issues under state and federal law, including the Stark Act, HIPAA, and anti-kickback laws.
We believe our clients find that partnering with Nelson Mullins adds significant value to their healthcare real estate platforms by leveraging our market knowledge and experience to manage risks and help maximize returns for their healthcare real estate portfolios.
Offering a Broad Scope of Services
Nelson Mullins's Healthcare Real Estate Practice Group offers a comprehensive spectrum of services to owners, operators, managers, developers, investors, and tenants of healthcare facilities, including the following:
- Spearheading the acquisition, disposition, and financing of individual properties and portfolios of healthcare properties; handling the unique aspects of healthcare real estate transactions involving licensing, reimbursement, fraud, and abuse; and other regulatory issues and concerns unique to healthcare properties.
- Coordinating healthcare property construction, development, and redevelopment (including zoning, licensing, planning, environmental, ground lease, easement, and land use matters).
- Advising clients on leasing, property management, asset management, and other operational matters.
- Applying facility experience in acute care hospitals, rehabilitation, and other specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, medical office buildings (including office condominiums), diagnostic clinics, urgent care clinics, dialysis clinics, free-standing emergency rooms, life sciences facilities, seniors housing, skilled nursing facilities, long-term acute care hospitals, medical campuses, mixed-use medical facilities; medical malls; and other specialty medical facilities.
- Providing current market knowledge on favorable terms in structuring and negotiating joint venture structures and relationships on behalf of healthcare operators, providers, and investors.
- Representing borrowers in virtually all phases of debt structuring and assumptions, from construction to permanent financing.
- Representing various Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and private equity investors focused on healthcare real estate in acquisitions, development projects, leasing, asset management and property management matters, dispositions, and general corporate and real estate matters.