- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
Areas of Law
John D. Martin
1320 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201
John is a litigation partner whose practice focuses on the interplay of high stakes litigation, electronic discovery, information management, and cybersecurity. He is a leader of the Nelson Mullins Electronic Discovery and Information Management practice group, Nelson Mullins Encompass. John's clients routinely face the challenge of having to collect and produce massive volumes of highly sensitive information in response to litigation, government investigations, and other matters. Clients turn to John and the Nelson Mullins Encompass team to manage the scope of these obligations, identify and mitigate risks, minimize business disruption, and to implement creative solutions to challenging and often disruptive discovery burdens.
Many of John's clients engage him as enterprise electronic discovery counsel to serve as an advocate and coordinate discovery strategy and operations in complex matters, often involving numerous concurrent MDL venues and interrelated government investigations. In this role, John communicates a consistent message across numerous matters, ensuring consistent strategy and positioning before a variety of judges, opposing counsel, and regulators. John has deep, hands-on experience litigating evidence spoliation and other unique e-discovery issues – ranging from TAR protocols in MDL litigation to source code production. Delivering accountability, this advocacy dovetails with the full range of large scale electronic discovery data collection, data processing, document review, and production operations of the Nelson Mullins Encompass team.
While most Clients engage John's team to handle cases from the start, they are often called into ongoing matters to defend sanctions motions, defend discovery processes, litigate overly broad demands, prepare and defend depositions into discovery conduct, and to consult on related issues.
- Has developed strategies for and overseen organizations’ document productions in response to government antitrust inquiries and as part of pre-merger notifications/Hart-Scott-Rodino submissions.
- Discovery advocacy spanning many industry sectors, including healthcare, insurance, pharmaceutical, tobacco industries, including antitrust, cybersecurity, product liability, and investigation matters.
- Advises clients on privacy and information security and data breach response issues and implements defensible approaches to the preservation, collection, and production of electronically stored information for litigation, government requests, and internal investigations
- Advises clients on communications and coordination with law enforcement and regulators and on related preservation of data and electronic evidence issues in connection with cybersecurity and data breach incidents
- Advocates for clients before the courts and opposing counsel to help right-size discovery to the needs of the case
- SC Economics Board Member
- Served on the South Carolina State Elections Commission (2000 – 2004)