- South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
Areas of Law
John D. Martin
1320 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201
A partner of Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP, John’s practice focuses on product liability and business litigation, electronic discovery, and information management. He is a leader of the Nelson Mullins Electronic Discovery and Information Management practice group, Nelson Mullins Encompass.
John routinely assists clients with integrating information governance practices with electronic discovery readiness and response strategies, developing technologies, and execution of large-scale document review projects. In addition, he counsels clients on information security and data breach response measures, advising clients on communications and coordination with law enforcement and regulators, and coordinating with third parties for investigations, data and evidence preservation, and maintenance of privilege.
John helps clients develop offensive and defensive electronic discovery strategies, and prepares company witnesses to address challenging data-related issues. John has served as enterprise eDiscovery counsel, global discovery and review counsel, national coordinating counsel, and as local counsel in pharmaceutical mass tort litigation.
- Advises clients on privacy and information security and data breach response issues and implements defensible approaches to the preservation, collection, and production of electronically stored information for litigation, government requests, and internal investigations
- Advises clients on communications and coordination with law enforcement and regulators and on related preservation of data and electronic evidence issues in connection with cybersecurity and data breach incidents
- Advocates for clients before the courts and opposing counsel to help right-size discovery to the needs of the case
- Counsels clients on information governance practices, including preservation and defensible disposal
- Develops both offensive and defensive electronic discovery strategies and prepares company witnesses to address challenging data-related issues
- Helps clients with the selection and management of electronic discovery vendors, as well as the development of cost-effective, large-scale document review strategies
- Represents drug and medical device companies, manufacturers, health insurance companies, and clients in other industries in product liability and business litigation
- Has served as both national coordinating counsel and local counsel in pharmaceutical mass tort litigation
- Has been admitted to practice pro hac vice in nine jurisdictions across the country
- SC Economics Board Member
- Served on the South Carolina State Elections Commission (2000 – 2004)