- South Carolina
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Areas of Law
- Certified Information Privacy Professional
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator for South Carolina
- Certified Circuit Court Arbitrator for SC
William H. Latham
F: 803.255.9075 The Hytech Lawyer Blog
1320 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Bill Latham is an Equity Partner of Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP. He is a technology savvy trial lawyer with more than 21 years of commercial litigation experience focusing on class action defense, franchise and distribution system litigation, insurance coverage/bad faith litigation and defending/prosecuting false advertising claims. He is also a member of the Firm's information security and data breach client service team. He has earned the designation of Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Bill is certified as a Circuit Court arbitrator and mediator by the South Carolina Supreme Court's Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification. He is also on the roster of approved mediators of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina.
- Experienced business trial lawyer.
- Certified mediator and arbitrator. Experienced in resolving disputes in mediation and arbitration.
- Extensive experience defending clients against class action claims in state and federal courts throughout the country, including Multidistrict litigation.
Awards and Honors
- Peer review rated AV by Martindale Hubbell
- Recipient of Claude M. Scarborough Pro Bono Award
The following is a selected sampling of recent cases and is provided for informational purposes only. Past success does not indicate the likelihood of success in any future litigation matter:
- Represent national manufacturer of consumer goods in putative class action pending in Florida state court; Trial court denied motion for class certification; currently on appeal. (Pending)
- Represented national franchisor in putative class action pending in the United States District Court for South Carolina. Motion for class certification denied. Individual claims settled. (2013)
- In conjunction with intellectual property colleagues, represent prenatal nutrient manufacturer in opposing competitor's motion for preliminary injunction filed in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. After three-day evidentiary hearing motion for preliminary injunction denied; case then settled.
- Represented Class 8 truck manufacturer in dealer related litigation in South Carolina state court.; After summary judgment granted in part case settled.
- Represented national consumer product manufacturer in defending and pursuing deceptive advertising claim against competitor in Massachusetts federal court; opposing party's motion for preliminary injunction denied. (2012)
- Represented national consumer product manufacturer located in Michigan in pursuing deceptive advertising claim against competitor before the National Advertising Division ("NAD") of the Better Business Bureau in New York, New York; client prevailed. (2012)
- As part of a virtual law firm team, represented automobile manufacturer in alleged "no injury" product defect multi-district litigation (MDL) pending in California federal court.