Nelson Mullins' Technology Industry Group combines technical knowledge, business acumen, and industry experience to assist clients on all transactions involving the development, acquisition, use and sale or other exploitation of technology-from e-commerce, and high-speed communications to in-house R&D and software development. Industries served include telecommunications, information technology, health care, biotechnology/pharmaceuticals, financial services, E-commerce and the Internet, consumer products, and software.
Our team has more than 30 attorneys handling technology law-related matters and includes professionals with degrees in disciplines relevant to their industries, including electrical, computer, mechanical, biomedical, and chemical engineering. Our attorneys take a practical business approach to solving complex legal problems, and many have worked outside the law firm environment as senior executives at pioneering technology companies. We regularly teach law school courses and give industry seminars around the country on a variety of technology and business issues, and advise governmental bodies on matters involving corporate governance and industry regulation.
Our Technology Group practices in many legal disciplines which impact technology-based businesses including: corporate partnering, joint ventures, corporate finance, venture capital, public and private equity offerings, patents, trademarks, technology transfer, software licensing, outsourcing, unfair competition, e-commerce, employment, government contracts, compliance, and litigation.
We have helped startup technology companies to mature into industry leaders and to stay on top. Our attorneys use their skills as business advisors to create the framework for clients to organize, grow and conduct operations, helping them:
- Raise seed capital;
- Obtain patent protection;
- Transfer and license technology;
- Negotiate and resolve conflicts regarding supplier-customer reseller, strategic alliances;
- Develop corporate governance and employment law guidelines;
- Structure and negotiate sophisticated financing transactions-from angel investors to local and national venture capital, to the public securities markets ; and
- Explore, structure and close mergers and acquisitions.
Nelson Mullins' technology lawyers are also experienced in representing clients in the outsourcing of important IT and business process functions. Our Group helps clients navigate the complex and rapidly growing field of outsourcing as they try to manage expenses and focus on core competencies.
Technology companies depend on innovators who spur entrepreneurial growth. Group attorneys help clients maximize the potential of their human capital by:
- Ensuring compliance with all federal and state employment laws covering discrimination, harassment, safety, disabilities, wages and hours, and family leave;
- Training supervisors to recognize workplace issues and deal with them before they become problems;
- Preparing effective contracts, non-compete, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements, compensation and benefit plans, hiring and discipline practices, and manuals that help prevent disputes and claims; and
- Defending against lawsuits and regulatory actions alleging employment law violations.
In litigation matters, the Group has handled high technology-oriented cases in both state and federal courts throughout the United States and in foreign countries. As an example, Nelson Mullins has served as national outside litigation counsel for various software developers. In that regard, the firm recently defended matters filed in state and federal courts in California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, and South Carolina. Nelson Mullins has also been involved recently in international arbitrations, including computer software disputes in Switzerland, France, and Turkey.
Despite Nelson Mullins's litigation and trial experience, Alternative Dispute Resolution is sometimes found to be in the clients' best interest. In those cases, firm attorneys actively promote the use of mediation and arbitration to resolve matters. Most recently, Nelson Mullins successfully mediated two significant software disputes, including one that involved the payment of significant funds to the software developer by the developer's customer, who previously had refused to pay based on alleged problems with the implementation.
In short, our lawyers are experienced in technology and business law. We take a proactive approach and partner with our clients to provide creative, efficient and effective business solutions in the technology arena.