First Amendment Issues
Nelson Mullins has always had a strong commitment to public policy-based litigation, and this commitment evidences itself in our First Amendment practice group. Attorneys practicing in the First Amendment group regularly counsel clients across the political spectrum on constitutional and policy issues such as:
- religious liberties, including identifying and remedying governmental discrimination against certain faiths and imposition of religious or anti-religious norms;
- national and state campaign finance and election practices law;
- Freedom of Information Acts, including submitting and responding to requests pursuant to these laws and providing advice regarding the statutory obligations that are associated with organizations that are subject to these laws;
- content-based and viewpoint discrimination issues, including identifying and remedying government discrimination against certain viewpoints or types of speech; and
- associational rights, such as those attendant with nonprofit organizations and political parties.
Firm attorneys have litigated issues rooted in the First Amendment before numerous federal and state courts across the country, including the United States Supreme Court, as well as before government agencies. In addition to counseling and litigation services, attorneys in the First Amendment practice group regularly testify before legislative committees regarding the constitutional implications of proposed legislation, publish articles regarding the First Amendment, and file amicus curiae briefs with courts in cases with significant constitutional ramifications.
Attorneys in this practice group bring unique perspective to their representation, as they have served as appointed members of federal and state agencies, including the United States Department of Justice, and understand the sensitivity that necessarily accompanies every client’s needs regarding First Amendment and other constitutional issues. For further information regarding the First Amendment practice group, please contact Kevin Hall, Butch Bowers, or Todd Carroll at (803) 799-2000.